Saturday 14 February 2009

Valentine's Day - and peas...

p

I have a deep-rooted hatred of peas. It stems back to childhood. When I was younger, I used to go to my Auntie Irene's for dinner, and she always, always cooked me peas because she mistakenly thought I liked them.
She made such a special effort to do them with every meal that I just didn't have the heart to tell her the truth.
I used every trick in the book. I used to hide them under my mashed potato, swig them down with coke hoping that if I swallowed them without chewing I could escape the taste. But, most often than not, I had to eat them. And smile while doing so...
As an adult, peas have no place in my life. It's become a bit of a standing joke. My in-laws all love peas. My husband eats frozen ones out of the bag (wierd I know); my brother in law sneaks them onto my plate when I am not looking, just to traumatise me.
You get the picture...
Fast forward to this morning - I sit down to open my little stack of Valentine's gifts from James and here: this is what I find.
I don't know where he found this tee-shirt but we had a right old laugh about it. A pea tee-shirt. Just perfect!
His plan had been to buy one for everyone in the family, so they could do their campaigning on Sundays! Give peas a chance? Not likely! But for once something pea-related made me smile!
Happy Valentine's Day James - and thankyou as always for making me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment